Sunday, March 23, 2008

First attempt with Janome felter

The only change I made to the pattern was to eliminate the band at the bottom of the jacket and just add to the length by the same amount.. This was so much fun. The Burda pattern is now out of print. Sorry. I seem to remember a Vogue pattern that is similar. Marcy Tilton, perhaps? I think her patterns would work very well for felted edges. For my first time using the machine, I decided to keep it simple. Really simple. The fabric is wool, but the yarn is Lion Brand JIFFY, THICK AND QUICK. It is acrylic and seemed to work just fine. Lesson learned by me..........save the wrappers the yarn comes with. I wanted to use another type of yarn I had in my stash, in another color, but tossed the wrapper and have no clue where to find it, or even what it was called. I am not a knitter, so I thought I would never need more than 1 skein of yarn. I am especially fond of the vintage shell belt buckle used as a button. Since I enjoy making jackets the most, I think I will get a lot of use from the Janome Xpression Felter. I may even try some thing more difficult, like flowers. I think old embroidery patterns would work nicely for a pattern. The edges of the jacket are just yarn felted from the inside of the jacket. It really looks good either way you apply the yarn.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so you. I can see why you like it.
Very Cool

Audrey said...

Your felting adventures make me want to buy an embellisher. I really like the trim on both jackets. Very pretty and unique.